Laser marking has revolutionized the way companies engrave their products, supplying everything from markings for branding to traceability to essential product information to personalization and beyond.
While metals and plastics are materials that are often laser engraved, different laser marking systems have the ability to mark on more delicate materials, such as glass, wood, and organics. In this post, we’ll take a look at laser engraving wood, the types of systems ideal for the process, the application possibilities, and everything that TYKMA Electrox can supply to ensure your marking goes as smoothly as possible.
About CO2 Laser Engraving
While fiber lasers have become increasingly popular since their introduction in the 1990s, CO2 lasers, first popularized in the 1960s, still play vital roles in various fields, particularly when it comes to laser engraving on wood. Understanding the difference between CO2 lasers and fiber lasers comes down to examining their wavelengths.
Fiber lasers often utilize a wavelength of 1.06 μm, which is ideal for being absorbed into metals, with only a minor percentage of the laser’s rays reflected. This wavelength is not suited for wood and other more fragile materials, however.
CO2 lasers, on the other hand, often are offered in wavelengths of 9.3 µm, 10.2 µm, and 10.6 µm. At these higher wavelengths, engraving on metal is not ideal because the material will not absorb the laser, but other materials, such as wood, glass, leather, and more, will. Standard CO2 lasers used on metals will lose most of their energy via reflected rays, so much more higher-powered CO2 lasers are needed to mark these surfaces.
With these facts in mind, it’s clear that if you’re looking for an effective laser engraver for wood, CO2 laser systems are the ideal choice. Many customers in the custom and promotional products industry love the control laser engraving gives them over their wood products, creating precise and alluring decorative effects via high-contrast surface burns and deep engravings.
Our Systems for Laser Engraving on Wood
At TYKMA Electrox, we supply a diverse range of laser marking systems, and that includes those featuring CO2 laser functionality. In addition to wood laser engraving, CO2 lasers are ideal for working on glass, cardboard, paper, stone, leather, plastics, and rubber.
These systems include the following models:
- Vereo CO2 Integration Laser – This system provides Class 4 integration with a 60W or 100W laser. Features include a touchscreen interface, an air-cooled and low-maintenance design, USB connection for PC operation, a 19” rack mount, optional rotary devices, and more.
- Zetalase XL CO2 – This freestanding unit gives operators Class 1 marking abilities within a full-size laser enclosure. Features include a front operator membrane control panel, a vertical pneumatic door with a built-in safety system, 60W to 100W operation, programmable focal height adjustment, an optional linear Y axis, Class 4 mode, and more.
- Zetalase Duo Dial Index – This system supplies options for laser marking, giving companies possibilities for marking with CO2 lasers, MOPA fiber lasers, or UV lasers. Features include Class 1 marking abilities within a full-size laser enclosure, two-position dial index table, programmable focal height adjustment, and more.
- EMS300 – This full-size, freestanding unit can be equipped with either a 20W to 100W MOPA fiber laser, a 10W UV laser, or a 60W to 100W CO2 laser, depending on operator need. Features include Class 1 marking abilities within a full-size laser enclosure, programmable focal height adjustment, a vertical pneumatic door with a built-in safety system, Class 4 mode, optional rotary devices, and more.
- EMS400 XYZ – This full-size, freestanding unit has an XY field for total marking of 24” x 24” and can be equipped with either a 20W to 100W MOPA fiber laser, a 10W UV laser, or a 60W to 100W CO2 laser, depending on operator need. Features include Class 1 marking abilities within a full-size laser enclosure, programmable focal heigh adjustment, a vertical pneumatic door with a built-in safety system, Class 4 mode, optional rotary devices, and more.
- WK Series – These custom laser marking systems can feature MOPA fiber lasers, CO2 lasers, or UV lasers, depending on a facility’s needs. Features include benchtop or freestanding options, service doors, safety interlocking, a T-slot work surface, an operator control pendant, and more.
Through the use of our systems, customers can laser engrave wood to incorporate:
- Bar codes
- Serial numbers
- Traceability information
- Safety information
- Important product information
- Company branding
- Personalized messages
Additionally, CO2 lasers are adept at cutting and drilling foil, cardboard, paper, leather, and other materials.
Benefits of Choosing TYKMA Electrox for Your Laser Engraver for Wood
When you work with TYKMA Electrox, you gain access to our decades of industry experience and the benefits we regularly supply to our customers. These benefits include:
- High-powered CO2, UV, and MOPA fiber laser systems
- Air-cooled, solid-state, maintenance-free designs
- Industry-leading warranties
- No lamps, water cooling, or alignments required
- Zero calibrations required
- Compact machine footprints
- Production-ready laser marking workstations delivered fully assembled, requiring minimal setup
- Advanced marking capabilities that are designed to exacting quality standards
- 24/7/365 customer support
Contact Us for Wood Laser Engraving
If you’re ready to purchase a laser system for your facility, or would like to ask our team any questions, be sure to reach out to us today. We’ll be happy to help!