At TYKMA Electrox, we have more than 65 years of combined experience in the development of industrial laser marking systems. From laser marking and engraving to laser etching and beyond, our team provides unparalleled solutions for your marking needs.
Among the wide range of materials that are laser engraved is leather, in a variety of forms. With leather being such a versatile and durable material, you’ll often find laser engraved leather products in the retail, sporting goods, and auto industries. Laser engraving leather is also a popular method of marking leather for branding and traceability purposes.
Laser Marking Leather – The Most Common Types of Laser Engraved Leather
Derived from animal hide, there’s naturally a variety of leather types that can be engraved:
- Cowhide – One of the most common types of leather is cowhide. Largely used for clothing, furniture, and generic goods, cowhide is durable, easy to care for, and can be found in variable of thicknesses and colors.
- Sheepskin – Reportedly the second most common leather, sheepskin is often tanned with the fleece intact, which makes it a good source of leather for items such as slippers and rugs.
- Pigskin – Pigskin creates a waterproof leather that is much denser than other types, making it a popular choice for gloves and shoes.
Common Laser Engraved Leather Products
Three popular markets in which we see laser engraved leather include sporting goods, automotive, and retail.
- Sporting goods – Despite its popular nickname, the “pigskin” that we find in sports today is generally actually made from cowhide. Though original footballs were crafted from a pig’s bladder, they proved over time to not be durable, leading to the change to cowhide. You’ll find that laser engraving leather is a popular method of marking when it comes to the cowhide used for footballs which are marked with various logos. Laser engraved leather doesn’t stop with footballs, though, since baseball gloves and many other types of equipment are also common laser engraved products.
- Automotive – If you’re team leather when it comes to car seats, it’s likely that your seats have been laser engraved by the manufacturer. Laser marking leather car seats is a practice that’s been used in the auto industry for years to effectively and stylishly brand leather car seats with essential info or branding iconography.
- Retail – There is no shortage of laser engraved leather in the retail industry. Laser engraving leather for retail offers an opportunity to personalize a number of products. Whether it’s laser engraved handbags, notebooks, or luggage tags, it isn’t hard to spot the distinct mark of a laser engraved leather item when shopping. Some additional laser engraved leather products in retail include wallets, journals, sunglasses cases, coasters, shoes, and jackets.
FAQs on Laser Marking, Leather Engraving Machines, and More
You have questions, and we have answers. Check out the responses to our most commonly asked questions to learn more before you start laser engraving leather.
What kind of leather engraving machine should be used for the best results?
What should I do to prepare for laser engraving leather?
Prior to your laser engraving leather applications, we recommend thoroughly cleaning your leather surface to remove any excess dirt and debris that may be sitting on the top.
From there, you will want to securely fasten your chosen item to your leather engraving machine. This will help ensure that your product will not shift during the marking process.
For the best results when laser engraving leather, you can even run a test pass to make sure that your system’s settings are to your standards.
What tips do you recommend when laser engraving leather?
When using your leather engraving machine, here are some factors to consider:
- Engrave slowly and make multiple passes for clear, high-contrast markings
- Position your leather so the details don’t run off the edge of the material
- Provide proper ventilation to eliminate smoke created from engravings
How long does it take to laser mark leather?
The amount of time that it takes to mark your products with a leather engraving machine depends on what you wish to engrave, as well as the size of your laser marking. For example, a smaller, less complex mark can take around a couple of minutes to complete, while larger, more intricate designs can take longer than that.
What types of designs can you mark with a leather engraving machine?
When working with a laser workstation, several logos and designs can be permanently etched on your leather products. Just some of the markings that we regularly see include the following:
- Serial numbers
- Significant dates
- Date codes
Of course, the list does not end there, and one of the best elements of laser engraving is the fact that the design possibilities are truly endless. So don’t be afraid to get creative with your personalization!
How long does an engraving last on leather?
Laser engraving leather and other materials is a way to ensure that you have a long-lasting mark that will remain on the product during its useful life. However, since leather is a material that endures a lot of use, it makes the markings a bit more susceptible to wear over time. Here are a few factors that will determine the longevity of your engraving:
- Engraving depth – If the laser engraving is shallow, it is more prone to wear over time. Having a deeper engraving can lead to a longer-lasting mark, so be sure to keep this in mind when laser engraving leather!
- Leather quality – Each type of leather has a different level of quality. Full-grain leather is the best for laser marking because it retains the outer layer of the hide, which makes it the most robust and less prone to aging. Other leather forms can still be engraved but the signs of wear may show more easily over time.
- Maintenance – Maintaining and caring for a leather product plays a significant role in its longevity. With this in mind, be sure to practice regular cleaning, conditioning, and upkeep to protect the leather and its engravings from harsh elements.
- Usage – The frequency and type of usage will impact how long laser engraved leather lasts. Items like wallets, belts, and shoes that are used daily will show signs of wear sooner than less commonly used items like luggage tags and handbags.
Have additional questions about laser engraving leather? If so, contact our team directly, as we would be more than happy to assist you.
Benefits of Laser Engraving Leather with TYKMA Electrox Systems
Whether you’re interested in laser marking leather as a manufacturer, retailer, or designer, TYKMA Electrox laser marking systems offer the ideal solutions for you. Our systems are durable and affordable and provide numerous benefits to our customers, such as:
- Air-cooled and maintenance-free designs
- High-powered MOPA fiber, CO2, and UV lasers
- Ergonomic designs with minimal footprints
- Industry-leading warranties
- Advanced marking capabilities that are designed to exacting quality standards
In addition, we offer unparalleled customer service. Remote service from our support team is always free of charge to our customers. Whether you have a question that needs to be answered or if your team needs remote training, our technicians are here to help.
Also, if you’re in need of on-site assistance, our team is available to send technicians to you for repair, maintenance, training, and more. If you require additional support, we offer a 24/7/365 emergency support phone line.
Contact Us for More Information About Laser Marking Leather Systems
Ready to start laser engraving leather? Contact our team today for more information about which laser engraving system is right for you!