Laser marking and engraving has a wide variety of applications for businesses and hobbyists, with everything from the medical field to the everyday carry subculture and more getting real benefits from laser marked parts.
One key application for our laser systems is nameplate marking, something that crosses industries and interests and can provide a wealth of benefits to both companies and customers alike. Let’s take a look at laser marking nameplates and data plates and all the advantages it can provide.
About Data Plate and Nameplate Laser Engraving
For many industries, nameplates and data plates are often required by law to provide customers with key operational and safety information. For other industries, nameplates may serve a more decorative or ancillary function, while hobbyists and small shops might utilize them for personalization to enhance a product.
Whatever your industry’s needs, laser engraving nameplates is certainly the way to go compared to other methodologies. In fact, laser marking nameplates stands out from other marking methods in a variety of ways, including the following:
- Laser marking outshines dot peen marking since the latter can produce engravings that are difficult to read in some lighting. Also, dot peen markings can often be shallower, and some surfaces can be ill-suited for use with the method.
- Chemical etching requires consumables that are costly over time, and these chemicals need to be disposed of properly, adding to the cost and creating pollution issues in some instances. Neither of these issues are present with laser marking for nameplates, as the process requires no consumables. Once you have a system, it is ready for laser marking data plates and nameplates.
- Inkjet marking has many of the same issues of cost and disposal that chemical etching does since it requires consumables that will be regularly replaced. Also, inkjet marking is slower compared to laser marking, and most troublingly the marks it produces are quite low-quality compared to the precise laser engravings you get from a laser system.
Applications and Benefits for Laser Engraving Data Plates and Nameplates
Companies and individuals can get very creative when it comes to nameplate marking, but some common examples we have seen with laser marking identification plates include:
- Marking essential medical equipment to fulfill UDI requirements
- Adding personalized information and messages to firearms, knives, and other weapons
- Creating stylish pet name tags to keep your furry friends safe
- Engraving custom messages on jewelry to make gifts extra special
- Marking essential information for automobile parts
- Marking serial numbers and more on electronics equipment
- Creating nameplates for personalized gifts, awards, trophies, medals, and more
Of course, these are just a few of the applications for nameplate engraving – the sky’s really the limit. Also, it should be noted that TYKMA Electrox systems are able to mark on diverse materials, including:
Along with all of this, TYKMA Electrox can provide the following to our customers:
- High-quality laser systems at an economical investment
- Desktop and open environment/integration system options
- Application and safety accessories
- Robust Minilase Pro SE programming software
- Air-cooled, maintenance-free designs
- Industry-leading warranties
- 24/7/365 technical support
Common Questions About Laser Marking Name Plates
What are nameplates?
Nameplates are identification tags used to supply information about a product, machine or system. They typically consist of a serial number, model number, patent numbers, manufacturer name and number, and other information dependent on need.
What kind of information is featured on a data plate and how do these plates differ from nameplates?
Data plates incorporate more detailed information than nameplates do. Data plates are often required by legal regulations to provide warnings and safety guidance, whereas nameplates are optional. They are also generally larger in size than nameplates.
Why are data plates important?
Data plates provide critical information that operators will need to know including notes about safety, installation, and maintenance.
How durable and wear-resistant is laser marked information on data plates?
When using a high-quality laser marking machine, like the ones we have at TYKMA Electrox, markings for text, numbers, and graphics are extremely durable and can withstand abrasion, high temperatures, chemicals, and outdoor elements. Our marks are precise, repeatable, crisp, and clear, and will stand the test of time.
It is vital to have systems in place for laser marking industrial nameplates that will deliver true durability and precision, and TYKMA Electrox is dedicated to supplying you with just that.
TYKMA Electrox Systems in Action for Laser Marking Identification Plates
At TYKMA Electrox, we have a wide array of laser marking systems that can be ideal for your identification tag and nameplate marking needs, with many options in terms of size, through-put, laser class, functionality, and more.
Here’s a quick video of our 50 W Vereo Fiber Laser Marker engraving a stainless-steel plate:
We also have developed systems specifically for use with nameplate marking to make the process automated and efficient. Here’s a video featuring our Pick and Place Nameplate and Tag Laser Marking System:
Our Pick and Place Nameplate and Tag laser marking system is ideal for clients who have a variety of nameplate sizes and shapes. The footprint is expandable to utilize a variety of nameplate magazines of varying sizes. A MOPA fiber laser etches information pulled from a database onto the nameplate. Our WK Series system can handle anodized tags as well as stainless steel and aluminum tags.
And below we have our Minilase XL Automated Nameplate and Tag Laser Marking System, which is a more compact unit.
Our Minilase XL tag and nameplate system is designed to laser mark, etch, or engrave high-volume nameplates and information tags of various thicknesses, shapes, and materials.
The system features a magazine for holding a high count of unmarked nameplates. A pneumatically actuated pick and place suction device moves nameplates from the magazine to the marking stage and then to the part offload chute where nameplates can fall into a bin of your choice for collection. The system operates completely internal to the Minilase XL system in Class 1 format, keeping the process safe.
Industries We Provide Laser Marking Systems For
From small businesses to large-scale companies, we work with diverse customers, supplying them with effective laser marking solutions. Industries we serve include:
- Aerospace – At TYKMA Electrox, our systems laser mark on landing gear disc brakes, repair and assembly tools, backlit cockpit legend plates, steering wheels, sensors, electronics, and more.
- Automotive – Our laser marking systems can mark on transmission gears, shafts, braking control systems, connectors, gas caps and other automotive components to ensure efficiency within the automotive industry.
- Electronics – When it comes to electronics, our systems can mark on printed circuit boards, semiconductors, chips, wiring and more.
- Medical – Laser marking for the medical industry requires precision for marking on orthopedic implants, surgical instruments and other medical tools.
- Defense – The defense industry requires specific requirements of marks that must withstand severe conditions. The military and defense equipment our systems can mark on include firearms, helicopter parts, flashlights, knives, military vehicles, missiles and more.
- General industrial – For those who need parts marked for general industrial purposes, our metal nameplate engraving machines are ideal for HVAC, plumbing, and heavy equipment components.
- Products and goods – With our advanced systems, you can mark on jewelry, pens, glass awards, drinkware, decorative products and much more.
Have Questions About Nameplate Laser Engraving? Reach Out to Us!
If you’re trying to determine which laser marking system would be the most ideal for your facility and needs for laser engraving identification tags, be sure to contact our experts today. We’ll give you insights on laser marking data plates and help in any way we can!