Boating equipment can be made out of a variety of materials, including aluminum, stainless steel, plastic, carbon fiber, and beyond. The commonality between all of these materials is that they are durable for the duration of life on open water and are the ideal candidates for laser marking and engraving.
Keep reading to learn about how to create laser marked and laser engraved boating equipment, the applications they’re appropriate for, and, of course, the benefits of doing so.
Benefits of Creating Laser Engraved or Laser Marked Boating Equipment
Since boating equipment and parts are subjected to water and salt regularly, they are prone to corrosion and other issues, so any marking methodologies must take this into account. Neither laser engraving nor laser marking boating equipment contribute to corrosion, and the marks they produce will endure, making them the ideal solutions for any item that will spend its life at sea or on other waterways.
Beyond corrosion resistance, let’s check out the other benefits of laser marked and laser engraved boat equipment.
- Longevity – Laser marked and laser engraved boating equipment results in marks that are resistant to fading, wear, and abrasion. This ensures that the marks that will remain legible even when exposed to the harsh elements that are found in waterways, like water itself, salt, UV rays, and more.
- Versatility – Whether you are working with metals, plastics, wood, or composites, laser engraving is a versatile solution that can be applied to a wide variety of projects.
- Precision – The markings on laser engraved boating equipment are extremely precise, which is ideal for creating small text, intricate designs, or patterns that require high accuracy.
- Consistency – For reliable and uniform markings, opt for a laser marking machine. Systems from TYKMA Electrox are known for their reproducibility, which means that they can create the same mark over and over again. This is helpful for product traceability and keeping your production line moving.
Whether you are a boat manufacturer who wants to engrave instructions or logos, a fabricator who needs to engrave part numbers, or an artist who creates custom work for boats, using a TYKMA Electrox system will provide ease of use in your endeavors and comfort in knowing you will be backed with ongoing support.
What type of boat equipment can be laser engraved?
Boating equipment comes in a range of shapes and sizes, so your capabilities are limitless, as long as the material you want to mark is a candidate for laser marking. Depending on your machine and industry, you might try laser engraving control panels, hardware, steering wheels, nameplates, small components, and other parts that are made from laser-compatible materials.
What is the process for creating laser engraved boat equipment?
- Choose the part and ensure that it is compatible with laser engraving
- Select an appropriate laser marking machine with the right power and wavelength for your application
- Create or prepare the design you are trying to engrave and ensure that it is properly formatted for the laser software you are working with
- Secure the boating equipment so that it doesn’t move during the engraving
- Adjust the laser focus to ensure it is at a proper distance from the material
- Configure parameters that will suit your project, like power, speed, frequency, and more
- Perform a test on a similar material to ensure that the object is going to withstand the conditions of laser marking
- Start the laser engraving process using the previously configured settings
- Ensure the engraving meets your standards by examining it for depth, clarity, and accuracy
- Repeat on other items and appreciate the consistency of your laser engraved boat equipment
What are some precautions to take when laser engraving boating equipment?
When trying to create laser engraved boating equipment and beyond, it is important to consider following:
- Material compatibility – Different materials react differently to laser marking, so be sure to check that your material qualities for the process
- Safety – It’s vital to enact proper laser marking safety measures, which includes the use of protective equipment and following instructions to keep you and your team safe
- Proper ventilation – If you are looking to create laser engraved boating equipment that is made out of plastic, you will want to be equipped for proper ventilation to get rid of any potentially dangerous fumes
- Regulatory compliance – Sometimes there are compliance measures in place for commercial or safety-critical applications, so it is important to be informed of them before starting your laser engraved boating equipment project
What is the best machine for creating laser engraved or laser marked boating equipment?
The type of system you need will depend on the material you are marking. Here are a few material types and their recommended machines:
- LaserGear BOXQ Laser Marking System
- EMS300 Custom Laser Marking System
- MinilaseTM XL Laser Marking System
- EMS400 XYZ Laser Marking System
- Zetalase™ XL CO2 Laser Marking System
- EMS300 Custom Laser Marking System
Contact Our Team for Assistance
For more information on what systems are best for creating laser marked boating equipment, be sure to contact TYKMA Electrox.
We look forward to assisting you!