At TYKMA Electrox, we are proud to offer reliable laser marking workstations that can handle any type of material, composition, or surface.
In particular, we offer a diverse line of laser marking systems that are ideal for laser etching and laser engraving brass and copper. As industry leaders, systems from TYKMA Electrox are user-friendly, high-end, and easy to configure, making them the ideal solution for laser etching copper or brass.
Laser Engraving Copper
Copper is a soft, ductile, and malleable metal with very high thermal and electrical conductivity, making it ideal for laser engraving. The metal is widely used in domestic, industrial, and high-technology applications, meaning it can be found in the following and more:
- Electrical wires
- Circuit boards
- Locks and hinges
- Clocks and watches
Laser Engraving Brass
Brass is a durable, yet malleable, metal alloy made primarily of copper and zinc. With a low melting point and high electrical and thermal conductivity, brass is used throughout a wide variety of industries.
Laser etching brass results in the creation of a bold dark mark on the metal alloy, making it a very commonly marked material. Brass is commonly found in the following:
- Jazz instruments
- Plumbing fixtures
- Pipe fittings
- Nuts and bolts
- Shell casings for ammunition
- Precision instruments, such as gauges and clocks
Laser Engraving Brass Plates and Copper Plates
In addition to the multiple applications listed above, laser engraving copper plates and brass plates is extremely common. Brass and copper plates are commonly used for trophies, picture frames, badges, plaques, signs and more.
Laser engraving brass plates and copper plates is made simple with laser marking machines from TYKMA Electrox. All of our fiber laser marking systems are manufactured with a high-powered MOPA fiber laser engine, allowing for clean and distinct marks on brass or copper. Laser engraving copper plates or brass plates is a common practice in the gift-giving industry, as it allows for easy customization.
Laser Workstations Ideal for Laser Engraving Copper and Brass
At TYKMA Electrox, our laser engraving workstations are great for engraving any number of material surfaces. However, some lasers are more compatible with copper and brass than others.
When laser etching copper or brass, we recommend using a fiber laser system. Some of our leading fiber laser marking systems are as follows:
Each of our systems for laser etching copper or brass only requires a USB connection to a laptop or desktop PC to begin programming the laser marking software.
What Is Laser Engraving?
Laser engraving is the process of etching designs precisely onto various types of materials including brass and copper. As mentioned above, laser engraving brass or copper requires a high-powered laser beam in order to remove the base film of the material and leave behind an engraved pattern or design.
Not only do these fiber laser systems work well for laser engraving copper or brass, but they allow for extremely detailed and custom work for many applications.
Benefits of Laser Marking Brass and Copper
Compared to traditional engraving methodologies, laser marking provides many advantages, including:
- Durability – Not only does laser engraving provide resistance to wear and tear, but its permanency allows the design or pattern to last indefinitely.
- Versatility – Laser marking copper and brass allows for full versatility of design. In addition to its durability, the fine laser movements make it so that nearly anything can be marked on the material including logos, patterns, ornaments, or personalized messages.
- Precision – Due to brass and copper’s material make-up, it is easier to engrave intricate designs with great detail. The precise detail that comes with laser engraving brass and copper makes for an attractive finished product.
- Customization – Laser engraving copper and brass allows for customization of various products. Jewelry, home décor, trophies, awards, and more can all be transformed into one-of-a-kind pieces.
The Process for Laser Engraving Copper and Brass
The process for laser engraving brass and copper will differ on a case-by-case basis, but there are a few things that must happen before your customization is completed. Here is a breakdown of the typical laser engraving process:
- Design prep – Select the design, pattern, or image you’d like to be engraved on the item. Typically, this is accomplished with the help of design software and converted into a vector format that is suitable for laser marking copper and brass.
- Material prep – For a smooth and precise application, it is important for the material to be thoroughly cleaned of any dust or oils. Failing to do so can negatively affect the engraving process and leave a lackluster design.
- Laser settings – Arguably the most important step, adjusting the laser settings based on thickness, temperature, and speed is crucial. After the laser is adjusted to the desired settings, it is recommended to test a small area to ensure the laser is engraving properly.
- Secure the item – To create engraving accuracy, securely place the item in the laser machine, making sure it is aligned correctly. This will ensure the design is engraved evenly and in the correct places.
- Laser engraving – After the laser settings are finalized, the process of laser marking brass and copper begins and the laser will vaporize or melt the material to create the desired permanent marking.
- Finishing touches – After the laser engraving process is complete, the final step is to remove the brass or copper item to inspect the engraved design for quality and make any adjustments needed.
Following these steps in one way or another will ensure that your brass or copper item will be marked efficiently and achieve the longevity you’re looking for.
Frequently Asked Questions on Laser Engraving Brass and Copper
How do you care for laser engraved copper and brass items?
Typically, laser engraved brass and copper items are easily maintained. Basic care would include regular dusting and cleaning gently with a soft cloth. However, avoid using any harsh chemicals that could distort the engraved surface.
Are there any limitations to laser marking brass and copper?
Before laser marking copper or brass, it is important to keep in mind both the conductivity and thickness of the item. Conductivity comes into play when choosing the laser settings to make sure the heat output does not exceed the material’s limits. Similar to excessive heat, the thickness matters when determining laser settings to ensure the items does not crack/split.
Is laser marking copper and brass reliable?
Yes, laser marking brass and copper is one of the more reliable options for customization. For example, some processes such as surface coating or painting have a likelihood of fading or disappearing completely. Laser marking ensures the customization will remain intact with regular use.
Does the brass or copper have to be polished for engraving?
The short answer is not necessarily. The brass or copper can be polished or unpolished, however the outcome may be different depending on the surface finish. Typically, polished copper and brass presents a more reflective finish, whereas unpolished presents a textured and rustic finish.
Support Services from TYKMA Electrox
At TYKMA Electrox, we’re dedicated to helping our clients receive the support they need regarding installation, troubleshooting and repair of our laser marking systems. We offer the following support services for all of our laser marking systems:
- Both in-house and on-site training
- Video tutorials
- Three-year complete warranties
- 24/7/365 technician support
Additionally, TYKMA Electrox accepts materials for application evaluation and testing, so if you want to witness the effects of laser engraving copper or brass, reach out to our team!
Contact TYKMA Electrox Today
To learn more about our fiber laser marking systems for laser etching brass or copper, be sure to contact TYKMA Electrox today. We are ready to help you find the perfect system to meet your application needs.