For those who follow our blog regularly, they know that laser marking, engraving, and etching are utilized by diverse industries in countless applications. From time to time, we like to highlight some of these industries and applications to showcase the great benefits of the laser marking process.
So let’s take a look at laser engraving carbide and why TYKMA Electrox can supply your operations with the best carbide laser engraver for your needs.
Carbides are substances that are composed of carbon and select types of metal. Carbide coatings, applied to a different metal piece (such as a drill bit), are some of the most common usages for a carbide compound.
Some of the common metals that are able to form carbides, which are then put to use for diverse purposes, include the following:
Iron is able to create a number of carbides, with cementite being present within steel. Lead and tin, meanwhile, are not able to form carbides independently (though titanium/tin mixtures have been seen).
Benefits of creating carbides include producing alloys that are resistant to heat, rust, scratches, and pitting. Many carbides also feature a high density with a hardness that is second only to diamonds, and a strength that surpasses steel.
Common Uses for Carbide
With so many types of carbide able to be produced, it’s no wonder that there are diverse applications for carbide, which in turn supplies a lot of opportunities for laser marking carbide. Let’s take a look at some standard uses:
- Machining – The metalworking field employs carbides regularly for tools such as drills, drill bits, saw blades, lathes, and more. Since carbides can withstand a lot more wear compared to tools without the coatings, the parts need to be replaced much less often. Additionally, with the temperature resistance of carbides, machines using components featuring them can work faster.
- Jewelry – Many jewelry stores and craftspeople are now offering jewelry options made from carbides since the materials can be as much as ten times harder than 18K gold. For customers who are worried about future scratches to rings or bracelets, this can be a worthwhile option.
- Mining – Overlapping with machining somewhat is mining, in that many of the same tools used in machining are also utilized by this field. Specialized tools developed specifically for mining, such as grinding and cutting tools, will also utilize carbides for the same reasons of strength, hardness, durability, and heat resistance. To save on costs, most often carbide is used on the teeth or tips of a piece, rather than the entire part itself.
- Healthcare – Surgical tools often utilize carbides since the hardness of the materials can make it ideal for precise cutting instruments. And while carbide instruments can be more expensive than their stainless steel counterparts, they are often prized as the better of the two options for surgical purposes.
- Oil and gas – Since the oil and gas field utilizes a lot of the same equipment seen in both machining and mining mentioned above, there’s definite overlap when it comes to uses of carbide. But the oil and gas field also values carbides for seals, rings, bearings, and more, along with the material’s ability to stand up in applications with low lubrication.
Why Companies Choose to Laser Mark Carbide Products
Just like with other materials, the reasons that companies or hobbyists may choose to laser mark carbide or laser etch carbide can be quite diverse, but some common applications include the following:
- Incorporating bar codes, date codes, and serial numbers
- Marking time stamps
- Supplying individual part numbers for traceability and assembly
- Incorporating special industrial codes
- Enhancing a product’s appeal with graphics and designs
- Incorporating branding information
- Personalizing objects for gifts and other uses
Along with all these applications when it comes to laser engraved carbide, companies and individuals also benefit from the quality and reliability of laser marking systems. Our state-of-the-art laser systems can offer:
- Clean, crisp marks and engravings
- Powerful fiber lasers
- Fast cycle times
- Marking that does not require costly consumables
- Air-cooled, maintenance-free designs
- Compact machine footprints with simple modular designs
- Diverse accessories and safety equipment
- Three-year warranties
Also, laser engraving carbide stands out compared to other marking methods such as dot peen, electrochemical, and inkjet for a wide variety of reasons, including:
- Final mark quality
- Health and environmental concerns
- Maintenance and convenience
Be sure to read our comparison blog post to see how laser marking carbide outshines other methodologies.
Reach Out to Us for a Carbide Laser Engraver
If you’re looking for a system to laser engrave or laser mark carbide, or many other diverse materials, be sure to contact our team today. We will assess your operation’s needs and help you select the best model for you!
Laser marking and engraving has a wide variety of applications for businesses and hobbyists, with everything from the medical field to the everyday carry subculture and more getting real benefits from laser marked parts.
At TYKMA Electrox, we believe that our customers deserve the best technology that is available. With this in mind, our lasers are reliable and environmentally friendly, and they are designed to maximize your savings while being energy efficient. Are you searching for a tabletop laser engraver? TYKMA Electrox has multiple options for you to choose […]
At TYKMA Electrox, we design and manufacture industrial laser marking machines for applications across an array of industries. When it comes to deep laser engraving, our systems serve as cost-effective solutions for your marking needs. From standard products to custom-made machines, our team strives to make sure that you are receiving the best product available. […]
Laser Marking in the Athletic Industry The market for the laser engraving industry has expanded significantly over the past few years. What used to be thought of as a process used only by industrial companies has broadened to reach businesses across many diverse fields. With countless applications and easy-to-use systems, laser marking has become a […]