Laser Marking for the Military and Defense Industries
From marking knives to firearms to missile housings and beyond, we provide the optimum technology for your application.
- MIL-STD UID 2D code marking
- Deep engraving of serial numbers
Lasers for Defense
Whether you’re looking to mark firearms, knives, or many other products in the defense industry, our laser marking expertise allows us to help you navigate the unique challenges presented when marking defensive equipment and components.
We possess diverse experience in the decorative firearms industry, including stippling of grips and frames, Cerakote surface tone change, deep engraving, magazine marking, and more.
In addition, we have advanced capabilities for serial number marking, including high-powered lasers for ATF depth requirements and custom software development for handshaking with serial number management systems. With our systems, you can easily mark MIL-STD 2D codes and use in process vision for code grading.
Recommended Defense Industry SolutionsExplore All Products
Browse our extensive capabilities to learn about various laser marking techniques, materials and industry-specific information.
Located in southern Ohio, our 50,000-square-foot facility is home to a team of engineers, laser specialists, and a state-of-the-art applications test lab.
The Absolute Best Customer Service Around
TYKMA Electrox personnel demonstrated outstanding knowledge of our industry and their products… Rarely do we see this level of commitment from our vendors.
I have a small engraving business and my original Raptor II was a big purchase for me. When it needed servicing, I shipped it out to TYKMA Electrox in Ohio. Knowing I had orders piling up, TYKMA Electrox rushed it through their lab and shipped it right back within two days.
The system has lots of capabilities with very simple and user-friendly hardware and software design and is easy to use. It is a great system for R&D and production use and it’s a very affordable solution to have a marking system in house.
Laser Marking for Military and Defense Applications
In the military and defense industry, there are very specific requirements for identification of property, machines, and tools. Additionally, these tools must all endure very severe conditions and substantial usage. Because of this, laser engraving is the ideal way to mark military equipment.
Laser Engraving Military and Defense Equipment
In the defense sector, laser engraving is used to mark text or graphics onto various pieces of military equipment. Some of the equipment commonly marked includes:
- Firearms and other small weapons
- Helicopter and airplane parts
- Military vehicles
- Tank and ship parts
- Electronic parts
- And much more!
The Importance of Laser Marking Military and Defense Parts
In the military and defense industry, laser engraving is a very common method of creating long-lasting, clear marks on equipment. Common markings include 2D bar codes, UID codes, part numbers, company logos, and data matrix codes. These markings have numerous benefits in the industry, such as:
- Traceability – This refers to the ability to track and identify parts and equipment throughout their lifecycles. Laser engraving is vital because it ensures permanent and unique marks. Traceability with laser marks establishes accountability, quality control, and compliance.
- Production flow control – This process involves the management of production, keeping the pipeline moving. There are many strategies used to maintain consistency and quality throughout the entire production flow process, and laser marking plays a vital role, denoting key information at various stages.
- Inventory control – Inventory control is the systematic process of ensuring that specific items are available at the right times and in the right quantities. Laser marked parts ensure effective inventory control due to their permanent marks that do not fade or rub off.
- Providing key safety information – Safety information laser marked on defense parts is essential for proper handling and usage of the equipment. Some examples of safety information that is commonly laser marked includes warning labels, safety symbols, emergency contact information, operating instructions, maximum load capabilities, and compliance information.
Finding the Right System for Laser Engraving Military and Defense Equipment
Military and defense equipment undergo harsh conditions and extreme usage, meaning that laser marks must be durable, deep enough, and clear. When laser marking military and defense equipment with a TYKMA Electrox system, you can count on the markings to withstand these harsh conditions your operatives are likely to find themselves in.
Laser marking systems from TYKMA Electrox are dependable, quick, and equipped with high-powered MOPA fiber lasers. Some of the other features of our laser engravers include:
- Air-cooled and energy efficient
- Maintenance and calibration-free
- Innovative capabilities for engraving, marking, and etching
- Up to a 100,000-hour life span
- Operator-friendly controls
- Protected by our three-year warranty
Additionally, we offer complete support services for all of our laser marking workstations. Our experienced technicians are always ready to help you, whether you need assistance with training, machine set up, upkeep, or troubleshooting.
Common Questions About Laser Engraving for Military and Defense
What are the benefits of laser marking for defense applications?
- Permanence – Laser marking doesn’t rub off over time so traceability and identification will last for years in any environment.
- Versatility – Laser marks can be applied on diverse materials including glass, metal, plastics, wood, and many others. Laser marking can also be performed on curved or uneven surfaces.
- Speed – Marks from lasers are accomplished very quickly and systems can perform complex markings in a matter of seconds.
What types of lasers are used?
- MOPA fiber lasers – “MOPA” or “master oscillator power amplifier” is a laser system that has a master laser and an optical amplifier. The “fiber” portion refers to fiber optics, which is how the laser is delivered, providing nearly zero energy loss. These laser marking systems produce high pulse repetition for the laser beam that lasts only billionths of a second, and they have become the standouts in the industry.
- CO2 lasers – These lasers are an older form of marking technology that use carbon dioxide gas as the medium to produce laser light. CO2 systems are known for creating mid-infrared wavelengths which are absorbed well by wood, glass, and plastics.
- UV lasers – UV laser systems emit light in the ultraviolet wavelength. Because of this, the wavelength is highly absorptive, allowing the system to perform “cold marking,” which is the process of preventing excess heat stress from being applied to materials.
What regulations apply to laser marking for military and defense?
MIL-STD-130, or Identification Marking of U.S. Military Property, is the standard for how to mark or label defense items. At a high level, the items have to be marked with an Item Unique Identification (IUID) which is a 2D barcode containing vital information about the item.
MIL-STD-130 also covers the materials and marking methods, such as font and size of text, and where the placement of the IUID goes.
TYKMA Electrox Workstations for Military and Defense Applications
If you are searching for an efficient and reliable system for laser engraving military and defense equipment, you can rely on TYKMA Electrox. Our workstations for laser marking military equipment include:
Need help finding the best system for your application? When you choose TYKMA Electrox, our team of industry experts will work closely with you to find the perfect system for your application requirements.
Industries We Serve Beyond Defense and the Military for Laser Marking
Laser marking systems from TYKMA Electrox are extremely versatile and can be used in a variety of industries. In addition to laser engraving military and defense products, our systems are commonly used in all of the following industries and more:
- Food and produce
- Home goods
Contact TYKMA Electrox for Laser Marking Military and Defense Applications
At TYKMA Electrox, we supply reliable and efficient laser marking systems for customers in any industry. No matter your application requirements, you know you can count on a system from TYKMA Electrox to get the job done.
Contact the team at TYKMA Electrox for all your military and defense laser marking needs!
We Partner with You
To develop solutions, solve problems, and create efficiencies.