Carbon fiber is known for its strength, durability, and lightweight nature. Due to these aspects, it is commonly used as the foundation for aircraft parts, racing cars, golf clubs, bicycles, fishing rods, and more.
With the widespread use of this material, it is important to understand how to properly create long-lasting markings on it for product traceability, branding, and other purposes. Discover the benefits of laser engraving or laser marking carbon fiber today.
Exploring the Capabilities of Laser Engraving and Laser Marking Carbon Fiber
When you laser mark or engrave carbon fiber, you create surface contrast burns on the outer layer of the surface. Due to the composition and color of the carbon, laser marking carbon fiber will always result in a black mark. This procedure can be conducted safely and effectively when the right machines and processes are used to dispose of any fumes and particles.
Carbon fiber laser engraving is essential to a variety of industries that take advantage of its durability, resistance to heat, and lightweight nature. These industries include aerospace, automotive, sporting goods, and consumer products. Within these industries, laser engraving and marking carbon fiber is often used for the following:
- Product identification – Engrave VIN numbers, 2D barcodes, data matrix or QR codes, serial numbers, and more
- Branding – Add a personalized touch and enhance your brand visibility by laser engraving carbon fiber with your logo or company name
- Aesthetic appeal – Achieve textures, designs, graphics, or other detailed markings that are high-quality and resistant to fading
Regardless of the customization that you incorporate, it is sure to add value to your products and processes when you laser mark or engrave carbon fiber.
Systems for Laser Engraving and Marking Carbon Fiber
It is important to take caution when marking any fiber-based material. Since they are composed of individual fibers, the structural integrity can be compromised which results in a blurry mark. However, carbon fiber is known to work well with laser marking, creating a clear result that does not threaten the material’s structural integrity.
Similar to other materials, it is important to consider safety precautions when laser marking or engraving carbon fiber. Here are some of the systems that can be used for laser engraving carbon fiber and synthetic materials:
- Vereo™ UV Integration Laser Marking System
- WK Series
- Zetalase™ XL Laser Marking System
- Vereo™ CO2 Integration Laser
We also offer fume and dust extraction systems that help remove harmful airborne contaminants created during the laser marking process. Not only does this contribute to a safer facility, but it also keeps your laser system clean and free of excess dust. The fume and dust extraction systems are ported for easy attachment to a fume extraction unit.
Parameters for Laser Marking or Engraving Carbon Fiber
When laser marking or engraving carbon fiber, there are certain parameters you will want to adjust based on the demands of your project. It is important to adjust the laser power, scanning speed, and pulse frequency to achieve the depth, contrast, and quality you are striving for.
Benefits of Using a TYKMA Electrox System for Carbon Fiber Laser Engraving
While choosing a system that does what you need may be a little time-consuming, you can be confident that they all share similar benefits. Learn about some of the characteristics that make our machines perfect for laser marking and engraving carbon fiber:
- Repeatability – With their ability to create the same mark over and over again, TYKMA Electrox systems are ones you can rely on
- Durability – Create marks that are resistant to fading caused by external forces
- Versatility – Program our machines to create the design of your choice, and feel free to switch it up whenever needed
- Supported – Take advantage of our 24/7 emergency support to ensure that your laser system is performing properly every day of the year
Contact Us with Any Questions
The process of laser marking or engraving carbon fiber is made simple with a TYKMA Electrox machine. Take advantage of our 24/7 support, 65+ years of experience, and wide selection of systems.
Learn more about our processes and systems by contacting us today.